Presépio is Portuguese for "Nativity Scene". Follow along as we build this year's version of a long family tradition. Mai e Pai (Mom & Dad, in Portuguese) started this tradition with just a few figurines bought in a Paris airport, to hundreds of pieces lovingly collected or hand-crafted over the decades and across two continents.

Click here for Wikipedia's description...


12 December, 2009

Creative landscaping & roadbuilding... 12 Dec


Now comes the other fun part...building the roads, landscaping the gardens, and populating the farms.
I try to remember while gardening the rest of the year to look for things that can be re-purposed to the gardens here.
These pictures show you some black-eyed susan seed heads, before and after.  I just dabbed green paint on them, then rolled them in some tiny red stuff that my mother had from a miniature craft place.
I saved some dried astilbe blossoms, as with a little paint, they become awesome trees!  An idea I stole from my brother and sister-in-law's village from last year.  Alas, I think at some point along the way, they wound up in the compost, so unless Botanical Friend got me some, that addition will have to wait.
 (While I hate to admit it, J&E's village is quite stunning too!!  Maybe I can post a link to it here...)

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! The next thing will be a book called "The Presepio and I". Or maybe "The Presepio that Devoured My House". No! I think "A Tutu, a Tiara and, a Presepio" is the best and will appeal to a variety of readers. Ballerinas, jewelers and architects/landscape designers, etc. And then the movie!!! I want Jennifer Aniston to play me!! I do like this site. How did you do it!! Very professional!! xoxoxo ADM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a soon to be famous photographer who will be ready willing and able to set up his stuff to shoot the photos for the book, too!

    ReplyDelete